Moving & Settling into London Life

10:00


Oh my god it's the second week in July and this is my first post of the month. I'm sorry I've been major MIA recently, the time has seriously gone so fast. If you follow me on my social media you'll know the reason for this. I have spent the last few weeks looking for somewhere to live while working full time. Every spare minute I had before and after work was spent viewing houses and rooms and then I'd come home, eat, sleep and repeat.

As you know my extended family had kindly put me up and let me stay in their house after I got back from travelling. With working full time I had got enough money to put down a deposit and months rent and I thought I'd start looking for somewhere more permanent to live. I was so grateful to have their house as a base but I felt I needed my own place and didn't want to overstay my welcome.

I was looking at a variety of places. I didn't know if I would get my own place or share with others and what part of London I wanted to live in. It was very exciting for me as it was going to be my first proper home in London and I could decorate it how I wanted and just have a space that was mine.

I am so happy to say I have managed to find a lovely house where I share with other working professionals and it's only a 25 minutes train journey to work. I'm living here almost 2 weeks and feel very at home already. I'm slowly getting my room how I want it but it's a work in progress, I'm happy taking my time doing it. I decided against living in my own place for now so I can build up my savings again and get my own place down the line (it's all about baby steps)

Something I would highly recommend if you're in the same boat is downloading the app 'Spare Room'. It's what I used to find this place. You type in your budget, location, basically everything you need and you get a selection of places within those criteria to scroll through. You can click on a place you like, view pictures, read more info and then direct message the person who's advertising. You also get email updates on places that have been updated that match your needs. You confirm all bookings by email or message and that's it.

I had never heard of it before and came across it by accident but found it so useful so I thought I'd share it with you. Moving is definitely a stressful thing to do, but having this app made it very smooth. I could look up places on the train to work and have viewings ready for that evening. There's such a huge selection for every budget and you should have no problem finding a place with this app. Within 2 weeks of downloading it, I had found a place and moved in.

This is my first time properly settling in London since moving here. When I first moved here from Ireland two years ago, I was living over a pub and working in it too. At the end of last year I left that job to travel and then came back and lived with family before getting this place, so as you can see it's been a bit of a crazy two years (phew). So to be properly unpacked and settled and to know I'm going to be living in this house for at least the next year is actually quite a nice feeling. Don't get me wrong, my travel bug isn't gone, it's just having a little rest and hibernation. I do want to travel more but I also want my own place, but that's something I'm working towards.

So I just wanted to write this post to fill you in on everything and to let you know all is good and that normal blogging will resume. As it's the weekend I'm not working and I'm going to go to town and buy some nice things for my room, which I'm sure you'll see on here very soon. I hope you are all doing well. I've been catching up with a few of you online and by text  so make sure you come say hi to me and we'll have the chats.



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Thanks for appreciating. Really means and inspires a lot to hear from you guys.I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work..Believe me, This is very helpful for me.

    Online Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete