Personal Goals for 2017

10:00

Happy New Year everyone. Hope you all had a good Christmas and you've started 2017 with a positive, go get it attitude. I woke up this morning at 7am (I purposely set my alarm so I can get my body back into work mode for Tuesday...oh how responsible of me) and thought I would kick off the day with a post on some personal things I want to achieve by the end of the year (what better way to represent this unknown journey then by using a visual metaphor of a forest)

I don't do new years resolutions, I much prefer to make lists of goals and dreams I want to do before the year is out. I think it's so important to have personal goals and to write them down. Things will happen throughout the year that I have no control over and there will be times I'll have to sacrifice to get something I really want so having some goals to refer back to will make everything worth while and will keep me motivated, inspired and focused.

1. Travel
At the start of last year I quit my job to travel Australia, New Zealand and Fiji with my other half. My work couldn't give me 3 months holidays so I just quit. I had to store all my belongings with family and live out of a backpack for 3 months.It was honestly the best decision of my life and really motivated me to see more of the world. I've made the decision not to let work be an excuse. If you want something, you just have to go for it and everything else will just work out. I don't know if I'll travel that far for that length of time this year but I want to visit places near and far. My initial list includes visiting Iceland, Croatia, Snowdonia, and Lake District.

2. Blog Opportunities
Thanks to making the long list of the Thirty Plus Bloggers Awards and the final of the Littlewoods Ireland blog awards, I've decided to not be so afraid to promote myself and put my blog out there more. I used to feel shy promoting my blog and felt weird asking people to vote but I've got such lovely support and been put forward for these awards that my confidence has grown and made me realise I shouldn't be so afraid of blogging opportunities. I want to make 2017 the year I say yes to more blog related things and not let my insecurities get in the way.

3. Learn a language
Something I've wanted to do for ages is learn a language. I was never good at languages in school but one language that's really stuck in my head that I want to learn is sign language. I know a little bit and some of the signs are natural things we do anyway but I want to properly learn. I've met so many deaf people in my life who lip read or write what they need on paper but I'd love to be able to communicate properly and hold a conversation. It's like a secret language and I'm so fascinated by it when I see people signing. I've no idea where they do classes but I'm looking into it and planning it after I write this post.

4. Create more art
Something I've only talked about once on my blog is my love for doing fashion illustrations Since writing it I've been doing more doodles after work and just trying to get back into the flow of things. I can't force being creative but when I get in the mood I make sure to just get ideas out of my head and onto paper. I've not really done anything with them or talked about them since, I just have loads of drawings in a notebook and I would love to do something with them. Whether it's sell them as prints on etsy or make them into greeting cards, I'm not too sure yet but I know I want to do make something that's another extension of me, put it out in the world and be proud of something I've made.

5. Have a mantra
My last point is going to be my mantra for the year. Declutter and organise. Every morning in the mirror smile, spin and tell myself I'm amazing. Don't apologise to anyone for being myself. Be surrounded by positive, like minded people who make me smile and stay going. Let the tears out and express thoughts of insecurity and sadness even if it seems silly. Support, give more compliments and share ideas.

Everyone should have some sort of a daily mantra. I think if you did at least one these mantra points, you'll feel so much better in yourself. I hope you've enjoyed reading this post and it's inspired you to make a personal list of goals for the year. They don't have to be massive goals, little changes will make massive differences to your health and happiness. Feel free to let me now what your goals are (or send me links to your post)  Hope you're all doing good and as always you can find me on instagram or twitter (@sarah_hamersley) so come say hi and we can chat more.

You Might Also Like

0 comments